Monday, May 27, 2013

Gorizard Reviews: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS (2013)

WARNING! MAJOR SPOILERS!!!

To any Star Trek aficionados out there, I hope I don't piss any of you off by saying that it was J.J. Abrams' 2009 Star Trek reboot that got me into Star Trek. I know it may come as a bit of a shock to some of you, given that I'm such a huge Sci-fi geek, one would assume I naturally grew up with Star Trek but truth be told, I didn't. Like Mr. Abrams, I grew up with Star Wars and as a kid, I was on the side of The Force rather than following behind Captain Kirk or Captain Picard exploring strange new worlds and boldly going where no man has gone before. I believe because I wasn't a fan of Star Trek (at the time) I was able to absolutely enjoy Abrams' reimagining of Star Trek and Star Trek Into Darkness is no exception!

It may not be as fresh as its predecessor but Into Darkness delivers those same thrills and money shots that made me feel Star Trek (2009) was worth the $10 ticket and Into Darkness was definitely worth the money and for that matter, worth the wait. I remember Into Darkness was planned for a summer 2012 release but was push back a year for extended production time. At the time, I was disappointed but now I feel it was definitely worth the wait.

Everyone delivered exceptional performances but the two actors/characters who really stole the film were Zachary Quinto's Spock and Benedict Cumberbatch's John Harrison, who is later revealed to be none other than KHAN HIMSELF! Off topic, I'm starting to get sick of all of these character identity twists such as The Dark Knight Rises, Iron Man 3, Into Darkness, etc. It's starting to get old. Well, back on topic... 

I thought that Quinto's Spock was likeable in Star Trek (2009) but I found him more lovable here. It was mainly due to his version of the iconic character having more progress in the development of his character and of course Quinto's excellent performance. There are many times where we see Spock extend his human half and it was those moment from the film I thought really made Quinto's Spock shine. 

Benedict Cumberbatch's Khan practically STOLE THE ENTIRE FILM! If you're not a Star Trek fan, then at least see this movie for Cumberbatch's Oscar worthy performance. Out of all the characters in this film, Cumberbatch's Khan is the most well written, riveting, intriguing, and provocative character in the entire film. 

Khan is a startlingly smart, cunning, manipulative, and dangerous character and at one point, he literally tricks the audience to fall on his side and sympathize with him! I'm not going to say which scene it is but it's my ABSOLUTE FAVORITE SCENE out of the ENTIRE MOVIE that almost made me cry. ALMOST!!! 
Cumberbatch delivers his finest performance since Sherlock and if you haven't seen Sherlock yet, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND YOU to log into your Netflix (if you have one) and start watching it! TRUST ME, it's the FINEST PIECE of British television you will EVER SEE and YOU WILL fall in love Benedict Cumberbatch! 

With the brilliant Cumberbatch aside, Star Trek Into Darkness delivers everything I would want in a summer popcorn blockbuster. It's equally as good as its predecessor and builds on the new foundation established by the previous film. One thing I wish Abrams could have done was further explore the world of the Klingons in this universe. The Kilingons did appear in the previous film but they were deleted from the final cut of the film and they return here for a minor appearance I believe was over written. Oh well. 

Overall, I was absolutely satisfied with Star Trek Into Darkness. It's a film that audiences will benefit from its well written script, spectacular visual effects, and a brilliant performance from Benedict Cumberbatch!
It was a worthy sequel with a worthy excellent villain. 

The references to classic Star Trek episodes & parallels to Wrath of Khan were executed exceptionally, and the action sequences were as I expected, astounding. Coming from the two writers of Transformers and one writer from Prometheus, surprisingly they delivered a fine script but of course the entire film couldn't have been done without J.J. Abrams and given his recent commitment to Star Wars 7, I doubt we'll see a Star Trek 3 anytime soon. 

Regardless, J.J. Abrams has delivered another excellent film and Star Trek Into Darkness further proves what a genius and great director J.J. Abrams truly is.

No comments:

Post a Comment